Are Muscle Knots Triggering Your Pain?
Sometimes, our bodies get racked with pain for no seemingly apparent reason. You neck or back may be filled with painful muscle “knots”, which can be sore and tender to the touch. Called “trigger points”, these painful patches occur when a portion of the muscle contracts tightly or goes in a spasm. The latest research indicates that there may be as many as 620 possible trigger points throughout the human muscular system, which can make for plenty of painful possibilities. Fortunately, trigger point therapy can safely and effectively treat this kind of pain, which is one of the many available medical treatments at Fox Integrated Healthcare.
How Do Trigger Points Affect My Body?
The location of these trigger points and its characteristic severity will vary naturally from patient to patient. These muscle knots can also compress nerves, especially when they develop around the spine or neck. When nerves are compressed along with the muscle, far-reaching and seemingly counter-intuitive symptoms may appear–for example, a trigger point flareup in the back could result in numb and tingling feet.
Trigger points can be activated by a variety of factors, which include but are not limited to:
- Muscle overexertion as a daily routine or a one-time traumatic occasion
- Anxiety, post traumatic stress disorder, clinical depression
- Chronic stress at home or work
- Untreated muscle strains and tears
- Car accidents, workplace accidents, sports injuries
- Bad habits like smoking, poor posture, bad ergonomic positions at work or at home
Flareups can severely affect our lives in many unpleasant ways, and can cause pain and suffering beyond the area of occurrence. When trigger points occur in conjunction with an injury, it can intensify the pain and complicate the trauma. Often times, trigger points can also confound both patient and doctor alike: because some trigger points can resemble other health conditions, misdiagnosis is all too common–resulting in delayed diagnosis, treatment, and healing.
At Fox Integrated Healthcare, we are all too aware of these diagnostic pitfalls. Your time and health are a precious and limited resource, which is why we guarantee thorough diagnostics and analysis to all our Broomfield and Westminster patients.
Trigger Point Therapies For Natural, Effective Pain Relief
We offer a variety of trigger point treatments, which can be recommended and administered according to unique patient needs and preferences. These natural, drug and surgery-free medical therapies include:
- Myotherapy, which utilize deep tissue massage and/or tapping pressure
- Vibration exercises for relaxing tense muscles
- Massage therapy that targets the trigger points/muscle knots
- Stretching moves to improve and relax muscle tone
- Injections that break down scar tissue and heal the targeted muscle
If you are struggling with excruciating muscle pain and would like to know what you can do about it, we can help. Call us today for your free consultation at (720) 588-9950, so our patient liason can guide you to the right solution for better health.